Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A space or vesicle within the cytoplasm of a cell, enclosed by a membrane and typically containing fluid.
- ‘They do this by conjugating the molecules with other molecules to produce stable, soluble forms that are stored in vacuoles within the cells.’
- ‘In slowly dried tissues, considerable cell wall folding had occurred, there was substantial subdivision of the vacuoles and some plasma membrane withdrawal from the cell walls.’
- ‘The protective membranes that surround the vacuoles closely resemble cell membranes in the human liver that serve a similar function.’
- ‘The electrode tip pushes through the cell wall tending to jump quickly across the plasma membrane into either the cytoplasm or the vacuole.’
- ‘Plant cell vacuoles are multifunctional organelles that occupy a large part of most plant cells.’
- 1.1A small cavity or space in tissue, especially in nervous tissue as the result of disease.
- ‘The toxicant specifically targets the central nervous system, creating vacuoles that are apparent only through microscopic examination of very fresh brain tissue.’
- ‘The smaller the artery or the more constricted it was, the more vacuoles you got.’
- ‘Intracytoplasmic vacuoles in renal cell carcinoma tend to be smaller, more numerous, and do not contain dense inclusions.’
- ‘Some tumor cells contained intracytoplasmic vacuoles and eccentrically displaced nuclei, forming a signet ring cell appearance.’
- ‘Interestingly, in both ventricles myocytes adjacent to the adipose tissue showed multiple sarcoplasmic vacuoles.’
Mid 19th century: from French, diminutive of Latin vacuus empty.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.