Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having the shape of a letter V, tapering to a point.‘look on the head for a white V-shaped marking’
branching, branched, diverging, y-shaped, pronged, divided, split, separatedView synonyms
- ‘It was attached to the patient's wrist using a needle with a V-shaped connection.’
- ‘I was wearing a red dress, right down to my ankles, flaring slightly at the knees, with the V-shaped neckline going down quite a bit.’
- ‘Temporarily store plants in a V-shaped trench mounded with soil.’
- ‘Ben uses a horse and a two-handled, V-shaped, walk-behind plow for turning the soil.’
- ‘Electrical, lighting and sprinkler services are accommodated in V-shaped steel conduits hung down the centre of the vaults.’
- ‘She was wrecked on Fair Isle, between Orkney and Shetland, where she broke up in a V-shaped cleft, depositing her contents in a deep gully.’
- ‘You survey the weight room and notice a gal doing pressdowns with some funky V-shaped bar.’
- ‘True to its name, the neck of this sweater is v-shaped.’
- ‘The cutting tool often used is the V-shaped knife.’
- ‘The outer defences comprise only a V-shaped ditch across the headland.’
- ‘It was obvious the moment we saw it - a V-shaped fissure with a 300-foot waterfall crashing onto boulders.’
- ‘Most initial analyses of the tsunami expect there to be a similar v-shaped pattern this time.’
- ‘Dig a V-shaped trench in some out-of-the-way spot in your garden.’
- ‘The car spun and landed in a V-shaped ditch, which held the doors shut.’
- ‘When the cotton plants are young, V-shaped blades keep weeds at bay.’
- ‘One glance at that dramatic V-shaped radiator grille is enough to tell you that this is an Alfa Romeo.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.