One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually as submodifier Completely and without qualification; absolutely.‘he looked utterly ridiculous’
completely, totally, absolutely, entirely, wholly, fully, thoroughly, quite, altogether, one hundred per cent, downright, outright, unqualifiedly, in all respects, unconditionally, perfectly, implicitly, unrestrictedly, really, veritably, categorically, consummately, undisputedly, unmitigatedly, wholeheartedly, radically, stark, just, to the hilt, to the core, all the way, to the maximum extent, extremely, infinitely, unlimitedly, limitlessly, ultimatelyView synonyms
- ‘It may not be comfortable reading but it is utterly absorbing and wildly funny.’
- ‘Despite the fact that no one was watching I have never felt so utterly ridiculous in my whole life.’
- ‘Their sporting achievements at the very highest level are being utterly ignored.’
- ‘Her features are utterly flawless and her eyes really are an unbelievable shade of violet.’
- ‘She finally knew what it was like to be totally and utterly in love with one person.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.