One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strong, thick plush velvet, used in upholstery.
- ‘In the end I came out of Mr Solomon's shop with a velvet curtain and a receipt for a posing chair, which was to be covered with Utrecht velvet.’
- ‘There were couches and chairs, luxuriously upholstered with crimson Utrecht velvet throughout the building, complimented by a set of fine Indian curtains.’
- ‘After dinner we adjourned to a little sitting room whose walnut furniture was covered with yellow Utrecht velvet.’
- ‘It is furnished in old carved oak, with large carved cabinets, and the chairs are cushioned with crimson Utrecht velvet.’
- ‘The interior fittings are very pleasant, being white, picked out with gold, the upholstering being red Utrecht velvet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.