One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The organ in the lower body of a woman or female mammal where offspring are conceived and in which they gestate before birth; the womb.
- ‘Any bleeding that occurs between periods, very rarely indicates cancer of the cervix or uterus.’
- ‘The baby is pushed out of the uterus, through the cervix, and along the birth canal.’
- ‘A doctor may suspect fetal growth restriction if the mother's uterus is not growing at a normal rate.’
- ‘Both of these techniques can be used throughout pregnancy to allow a closer look at the cervix and lower uterus.’
- ‘This may result in heavy bleeding during birth, perhaps leading to surgical removal of the uterus.’
- ‘Some of these embryos will be implanted in a woman's uterus, while others are frozen and stored.’
- ‘About 70 women with benign fibroids had their uteruses removed without first trying drugs or other treatments that could have been effective.’
- ‘High-fat diets may increase your risk of cancer of the prostate, colon, rectum and uterus.’
- ‘Next, the doctor will pass a tiny tube called a catheter through an artery to your uterus.’
- ‘When a woman is not pregnant, the body of the uterus is about the size of a fist and its interior walls are collapsed.’
- ‘Women who had previously experienced caesarean section had a marginally smaller blood loss and a lower death rate from ruptured uterus.’
- ‘As well as vulval cancer, she treats cancer of the cervix, uterus, and ovaries.’
- ‘Hepatitis B can be spread to the baby in the uterus or during the birth process.’
- ‘This is probably because the mother's uterus is not yet stretched and the baby has little room to move.’
- ‘Oxygen was being delivered via the placenta because most of the baby's body was still in the uterus.’
- ‘Some of the desperate women who opted for backstreet abortions often had to have their uteruses surgically removed because of resulting massive infection.’
- ‘Endometriosis is when the tissue that lines the uterus appears in other parts of the body.’
- ‘If the ovaries or uterus are removed, there are likely to be changes in hormones.’
- ‘In pregnancy, an important but temporary organ, the placenta, is formed in the uterus.’
- ‘With their informed consent, their uteruses were carefully examined after operation, and the authors found that a number of them had conceived just before surgery.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.