One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural Utes, Plural utesNZ, Australian
A utility vehicle.‘ordinary families buy pickups and sport utes’
pickup truck, utility truck, utility vehicleView synonyms
- ‘There was a verandah out the front where we sipped our milkshakes and watched the utes driving past.’
- ‘A lifeguard in a ute drove past and gave me a wave.’
- ‘Every year, Australians buy 70,000 utes and small pickups, about 9 percent of the vehicle market.’
- ‘No motor vehicle has a more Australian heritage than the ute.’
- ‘I saw her watching the men driving off in their utes, chainsaws at the ready.’
nounPlural Utes, Plural utes
1A member of a North American people living chiefly in Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico.
- ‘Among the Shoshones and Utes, twins were sometimes looked upon as a sign of impending bad luck.’
- ‘In Utah the territory's dominant tribe, the Utes, had lived for centuries close by Utah Lake.’
- ‘Apparently it was a sacred place for the Utes who used to winter here.’
- ‘Cultural familiarity, if not in this case ties of kinship, connected these Utes and New Mexicans, enabling the latter to establish themselves peacefully in Ute territory.’
- ‘At times the Navajos were allied with the Spanish against other Indians, principally the Utes.’
2The Uto-Aztecan language of the Ute.
- ‘The diminutive suffix is often used in Ute and Paiute to indicate youth or affection.’
- ‘He spoke Ute at home, but as soon as they hit the school bus, and all day long, they spoke English.’
- ‘Her native language, Ute, is closely related to Shoshoni.’
Relating to the Ute or their language.
- ‘More than a thousand Utes, especially older people, also speak their native Ute language.’
- ‘Many Ute children like to go hunting and fishing with their fathers.’
- ‘In the spring of 1784 a Ute headman named Ignacio caught wind of a party of New Mexicans heading north to build a settlement on land the Utes claimed as their own.’
From Spanish Yuta; compare with Paiute.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.