Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality or fact of being useful.‘faults that affect the book's usefulness’
functionality, practicality, serviceability, fitness, adequacy, handiness, neatness, convenience, utility, use, effectiveness, efficacyView synonyms
- ‘Police today cast doubt on the usefulness of over-the-counter drug testing kits to detect spiked drinks.’
- ‘We throw away stuff not because it's outlived its usefulness or functionality but its novelty.’
- ‘In the light of this we want to question the usefulness and convenience of maintaining this on the agenda.’
- ‘In other areas of design, a noticeable attractiveness is thought to be relevant as well as usefulness and usability.’
- ‘Vases, for example, derive their value from their usefulness or desirability for humans.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.