One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rash of round, red welts on the skin that itch intensely, sometimes with dangerous swelling, caused by an allergic reaction, typically to specific foods.
spots, skin eruption, breakoutView synonyms
- ‘Many sufferers of allergic rhinitis have other allergies such as eczema, urticaria, or asthma.’
- ‘Although alcohols have been considered for decades to be the safest antiseptics available, there are rare accounts of urticaria syndromes and allergic contact dermatitis associated with alcohol.’
- ‘There was no history of pruritus, urticaria, abdominal pain or swelling of other areas of the body.’
- ‘Overall the incidence is 155 cases per 100,000 population, a frequency similar to urticaria or peptic ulcer.’
- ‘Foods high in histamine, such as fermented foods, may exacerbate urticaria and angioedema in these individuals.’
- ‘Antihistamine creams and tablets are both effective in reducing urticaria (hives or nettle rash), the itchy white bumps on the skin often caused by insect bites and stings.’
- ‘Antihistamines may be beneficial in the treatment of urticaria and other allergic causes of pruritus.’
- ‘At each interview, subjects were asked about the occurrence of allergic rhinitis, urticaria, eczema, asthma attacks, or asthmalike breathing problems in the last 12 months.’
- ‘Skin prick testing is conventionally used to investigate immediate type hypersensitivity to allergens in patients with urticaria, asthma, atopic eczema, and suspected food allergy.’
- ‘The reactions seen are mainly on the skin: eczema or urticaria, with or without respiratory or gastro-intestinal symptoms.’
- ‘Patients who have seasonal allergic rhinitis and urticaria often use higher doses.’
- ‘Normal reactions to smallpox vaccination include erythema, edema, regional lymphadenopathy, fever, malaise, and urticaria.’
- ‘Symptoms can vary from mild reactions, such as urticaria, hay fever, and allergic conjunctivitis, to asthma and, in rare cases, anaphylaxis.’
- ‘The most common adverse effects of omeprazole are diarrhoea, headache, and rashes, of which urticaria and toxic erythema are the most common.’
- ‘Rashes with purpura, urticaria, and subcutaneous nodules are common.’
- ‘Antihistamines are often used to treat the symptoms of allergies such as seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis and urticaria.’
- ‘Rashes and urticaria may be present as part of a hypersensitivity reaction.’
- ‘Other symptoms include fever, joint and muscle pain, malaise, urticaria, and pharyngitis.’
- ‘Histamine, which is released by mast cells in persons with urticaria and other allergic reactions, classically is associated with pruritus.’
- ‘This usually manifests as flushing, breathlessness, rash, urticaria, and hypotension.’
Late 18th century: modern Latin, from Latin urtica ‘nettle’, from urere ‘to burn’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.