One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wild sheep with long legs and relatively small horns, native to central Asia.
- ‘The locations of both urial and livestock were plotted on a map of the area.’
- ‘This urial, the most beautiful of the Urial sheep, is represented in a great number in Turkmenistan.’
- ‘The numbers of Afghan urial in our area are increasing and the trophy quality is high.’
- ‘It was expected that competition for food and habitat would result in the urial suffering on both counts.’
- ‘In 1986, Society of Torghar Environmental Protection started the first controlled hunting of Afghan urial and Suleman markhor.’
Mid 19th century: from Punjabi ūrīal.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.