One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A densely wooded area located in a city.
- ‘The city's urban forest currently stores an estimated 8.8 million tons of carbon and sequesters nearly 68.785 lb per year.’
- ‘By 1900, municipalities managed urban forests to maximize their benefits and minimize costs.’
- ‘Washington is like other cities we've studied that are losing their urban forests at an alarming rate.’
- ‘And from a local policy perspective, ‘It's important that we graphically illustrate the scope and value of the urban forest resources.’’
- ‘So his widow, Betty Brown Casey, thought it a fitting tribute to donate $50 million to restore the city's urban forest to the grandeur he loved.’
- ‘Even if the committee is successful, however, Calgary's urban forest is likely to look a lot different in the coming years.’
- ‘From this research it is apparent that urban forests are indicators of the environmental quality of a community and that they provide measurable benefits, in particular: reducing stormwater flow and improving water quality.’
- ‘The urban forests of California are not customarily thought of as a renewable resource.’
- ‘What they planted, though, grew up to be an urban forest of species imported from the East and nurtured by watering.’
- ‘Advocates of parks and urban forests point to several benefits of adding verdure, including enhanced tourism, better health, higher property values, natural habitat preservation and improved air and water quality.’
- ‘The city's urban forest plan, part of its sustainable development policy, is multi-phased.’
- ‘With that growth, however, has come an alarming loss in its urban forest.’
- ‘I was particularly curious to see how Sweden, a socialistic country plans and protects its urban forests and how Swedish attitudes, policies, planning, and design differ from ours.’
- ‘Residents on a Hounslow estate are being invited to plant a tree to help start an urban forest and improve their local area.’
- ‘That in itself is a tough job considering the disparate groups that have collected data on the urban forest over the years.’
- ‘Together with our partners we have helped dozens of cities and towns learn about the unique and precious value of their urban forests.’
- ‘It's very important to restore the habitat, and increase the overall benefits of the urban forest on site.’
- ‘All that blue in the upper part of the picture is actually foliage, and demonstrates clearly that, seen from space, the city is indeed an urban forest.’
- ‘But increasing populations and rampant development are rapidly squeezing out urban forests.’
- ‘Without a sufficient urban forest to work for cities, ecosystem services will dwindle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.