One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as modifier The cation UO₂²⁺, present in some compounds of uranium.‘uranyl acetate’
- ‘As the amine sulfate reacts with the uranyl ions, the uranium is converted from a water-soluble compound into one that is kerosene-soluble.’
- ‘The drying step is performed after using a 0.02% diluted uranyl acetate solution for fixing the DNA molecules in their conformations.’
- ‘Thin sections of the tumor were stained with uranyl acetate and lead citrate.’
- ‘For electron microscopy, thin sections of the same material were stained with uranyl acetate and lead citrate.’
- ‘After incubation, the sections were washed thoroughly with distilled water and counter-stained with uranyl acetate and lead citrate as described above.’
- ‘Sections were picked up on 200 mesh copper grids and further stained with uranyl acetate and lead citrate.’
- ‘Sections were collected in water on copper grids, stained with uranyl acetate and lead citrate, and viewed on a Philips transmission electron microscope.’
- ‘Staining with lead citrate and uranyl acetate is required as organic material is very electron translucent, and thus contrast is poor without a heavy metal stain.’
- ‘The specimens were then stained with uranyl acetate and lead citrate for 15 minutes, respectively.’
- ‘Then, we fix the adsorbed DNA molecules in their conformations thanks to uranyl acetate and we dry the sample using filter paper.’
Mid 19th century: from uranium + -yl.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.