Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A punch delivered with an upward motion and the arm bent.
- ‘You hold the gloves and deliver uppercuts, hooks and jabs, taking care to sidestep or duck away from punches.’
- ‘He crouches down and then launches his fist upward in the motion of an uppercut.’
- ‘And his left hook was every bit as formidable and devastating as his uppercut.’
- ‘He leapt back to his feet quickly, lifting his fist to deliver a gruesome uppercut.’
- ‘From past to present, boxers such as Jack Johnson, Sugar Ray Robinson, Mike Tyson and Eric Morales all had and have great uppercuts.’
- ‘He moved with impressive grace and skill, angling away from Hernandez's onrushes and countering effectively with uppercuts, straight right hands, and left hooks.’
- ‘Before the Commander could hit the ground, however, Talon slipped behind him, and delivered an uppercut to the small of his back, launching Baldric into the air.’
- ‘During the training she unleashed several hook punches and uppercuts that were so ‘lightning fast’ they would subdue an aggressor before he know what hit him.’
- ‘Tshehla was superb, particularly when boxing behind a left jab which was followed by a left uppercut - his best punch.’
- ‘He had a good long hard jab, his left hook and left uppercut were devastating punches.’
- ‘Jeremey landed, ducked the last attack and delivered an uppercut, sending the attacker sprawling to the ground five feet away.’
- ‘Cintron's hooks, uppercuts, and overhand rights dictated the fight and the win.’
- ‘At the two-minute mark of the eleventh round, De La Hoya delivered a left uppercut that traveled less than 6 inches.’
- ‘Generally, the issue only came up in fast-paced hooks, uppercuts and follow-up punches.’
- ‘Khan now oozes with confidence, landing his punches and even throwing in uppercuts on his attack as he senses victory.’
- ‘At thirty-eight seconds to go Tito delivered a pin-point left uppercut which had Ricardo hanging on for dear life.’
- ‘She looked at him for a moment, balled up her fist, and delivered an uppercut to his lower jaw that sent him off his feet and back towards the steps.’
- ‘He punched the guard nearest to him in the face and aimed an uppercut punch just below his jaw.’
- ‘Expect a large assortment of straights, jabs, uppercuts, hooks, and more.’
- ‘In one swift motion, he delivered a brutal uppercut to her chin, and she slumped to the ground.’
- 1.1Baseball An upward batting stroke, typically resulting in a fly ball.
- ‘He brings the arm back a little and starts to move it upward for the uppercut.’
- ‘He is difficult to strike out despite an uppercut swing that makes him a long-ball threat.’
- ‘Hall of Famer Joe Morgan notes that Gonzalez's swing has a natural uppercut to it, allowing him to drive the ball with more authority.’
- ‘Beltran sometimes struggles with an uppercut and poor strike-zone judgment.’
- ‘There are plenty of home runs, though, mostly by players with huge uppercut swings who are lucky enough to get a fastball they can handle.’
- ‘He is a switch hitter who has a severe uppercut, resulting in too many fly balls.’
Hit with an uppercut.
- ‘The guy swung and, quick as lightning, Bryce ducked and uppercutted the guy.’
- ‘Lee's fist tightened as he uppercut the man right in under the jaw, knocking him through the ceiling.’
- ‘Acting on instinct, he stepped forward and uppercutted the man in the nose.’
- ‘She rammed her fist in his stomach, causing him to double over and lifted her javelin horizontally, uppercutting him with it and making him fall to the ground.’
- ‘He ducked under the second swing of the bat and uppercut the batter on the stomach.’
- ‘He held the punk's head with his left and uppercutted him with his right.’
- ‘Lawry ducked the blow and uppercut him in the jaw.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.