One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A punch delivered with an upward motion and the arm bent.
blow, hit, knock, thump, thwack, box, jab, fist, cuff, clip, smash, slam, welt, straight, hook, body blowView synonyms
- ‘During the training she unleashed several hook punches and uppercuts that were so ‘lightning fast’ they would subdue an aggressor before he know what hit him.’
- ‘Before the Commander could hit the ground, however, Talon slipped behind him, and delivered an uppercut to the small of his back, launching Baldric into the air.’
- ‘At thirty-eight seconds to go Tito delivered a pin-point left uppercut which had Ricardo hanging on for dear life.’
- ‘Khan now oozes with confidence, landing his punches and even throwing in uppercuts on his attack as he senses victory.’
- ‘You hold the gloves and deliver uppercuts, hooks and jabs, taking care to sidestep or duck away from punches.’
- ‘Cintron's hooks, uppercuts, and overhand rights dictated the fight and the win.’
- ‘Jeremey landed, ducked the last attack and delivered an uppercut, sending the attacker sprawling to the ground five feet away.’
- ‘He had a good long hard jab, his left hook and left uppercut were devastating punches.’
- ‘She looked at him for a moment, balled up her fist, and delivered an uppercut to his lower jaw that sent him off his feet and back towards the steps.’
- ‘He crouches down and then launches his fist upward in the motion of an uppercut.’
- ‘He leapt back to his feet quickly, lifting his fist to deliver a gruesome uppercut.’
- ‘Tshehla was superb, particularly when boxing behind a left jab which was followed by a left uppercut - his best punch.’
- ‘In one swift motion, he delivered a brutal uppercut to her chin, and she slumped to the ground.’
- ‘He moved with impressive grace and skill, angling away from Hernandez's onrushes and countering effectively with uppercuts, straight right hands, and left hooks.’
- ‘Expect a large assortment of straights, jabs, uppercuts, hooks, and more.’
- ‘Generally, the issue only came up in fast-paced hooks, uppercuts and follow-up punches.’
- ‘And his left hook was every bit as formidable and devastating as his uppercut.’
- ‘From past to present, boxers such as Jack Johnson, Sugar Ray Robinson, Mike Tyson and Eric Morales all had and have great uppercuts.’
- ‘At the two-minute mark of the eleventh round, De La Hoya delivered a left uppercut that traveled less than 6 inches.’
- ‘He punched the guard nearest to him in the face and aimed an uppercut punch just below his jaw.’
- 1.1Baseball An upward batting stroke, typically resulting in a fly ball.
- ‘Hall of Famer Joe Morgan notes that Gonzalez's swing has a natural uppercut to it, allowing him to drive the ball with more authority.’
- ‘He is a switch hitter who has a severe uppercut, resulting in too many fly balls.’
- ‘He is difficult to strike out despite an uppercut swing that makes him a long-ball threat.’
- ‘Beltran sometimes struggles with an uppercut and poor strike-zone judgment.’
- ‘He brings the arm back a little and starts to move it upward for the uppercut.’
- ‘There are plenty of home runs, though, mostly by players with huge uppercut swings who are lucky enough to get a fastball they can handle.’
Hit with an uppercut.
- ‘Lawry ducked the blow and uppercut him in the jaw.’
- ‘Lee's fist tightened as he uppercut the man right in under the jaw, knocking him through the ceiling.’
- ‘He held the punk's head with his left and uppercutted him with his right.’
- ‘She rammed her fist in his stomach, causing him to double over and lifted her javelin horizontally, uppercutting him with it and making him fall to the ground.’
- ‘The guy swung and, quick as lightning, Bryce ducked and uppercutted the guy.’
- ‘He ducked under the second swing of the bat and uppercut the batter on the stomach.’
- ‘Acting on instinct, he stepped forward and uppercutted the man in the nose.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.