One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Capital letters as opposed to small letters (lowercase)‘the keywords must be in uppercase’as modifier ‘uppercase letters’
upper-case, blockView synonyms
- ‘The game can be used to reinforce number recognition, letter recognition, the difference between upper case and lower case letters, letter sounds, colors, etc.’
- ‘Often in fine but upper-case print, most preprinted prescription labels include the words.’
- ‘But as the k was typed in lower case, it was mysteriously replaced by an uppercase letter.’
- ‘X's and O's were upper-case letters, 4.0 mm high and 2.0 mm wide.’
- ‘The test selected requires the child to recognize whether isolated upper case letters and numerals are correctly oriented, and measures memory for the correct visual form of letters and numerals.’
- ‘The specification sets out things such as standard data locations, standard fonts, upper case lettering, and types of human-readable data.’
- ‘She's always liked us to read to her, and she's been practising her upper-case letters and trying to figure out how to spell words for a long time, but reading stuff she didn't already know frustrated her.’
- ‘As an editor, this happens to drive me crazy (along with the lack of upper-case letters where one would normally expect them).’
- ‘The title page of the book has its name printed in upper case, as was the fashion at the time, but it is an achievement worth capital letters.’
- ‘And on that note, I give you the lovely e-mail I received this evening from ‘Greg A.'. At least he avoided upper-case type.’
- ‘To keep things simple, the file uses only upper case letters, digits and punctuation marks, and does not include spaces.’
- ‘Naturally my eye was drawn to this word, 5 cm long and 1.5 cm high, in red upper case letters.’
- ‘It's especially important when going over the username and password, letter by letter, number by number, upper case by lower case - because, as the user manual says, ‘It's vital to type in the correct username and password’.’
- ‘There are warnings against the use of all upper-case text as this impacts negatively on readability.’
- ‘You should have passwords that are at least eight characters long - consisting of a mixture of numbers, upper case and lower case letters.’
- ‘They might not know their upper-case letters from their lower, but today's online activists certainly know how to disrupt the enemy.’
- ‘The first letter of this code is upper case and the second, if present, is lower case.’
- ‘Letters were presented in upper case, white Arial font on a black background.’
Referring originally to two type cases positioned on an angled stand, the case containing the capital letters being higher and further away from the compositor.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.