One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A light placed or designed to throw illumination upward.
- ‘Masham Parish Council wanted to add uplighters to the stone bridge over the River Ure at a cost of about £4,500, but the scheme is strongly opposed by North Yorkshire County Council whose officials say it would be illegal.’
- ‘All of the units are finished to a high standard, from beech kitchen countertops to uplighters on the terrace and balcony.’
- ‘Here, Brown used uplights for balance, placing them beneath plants in the corners.’
- ‘The plans also include repaving the area and installing uplighters to illuminate the memorials and St Mary Magdalen Church.’
- ‘Each apartment has gas-fired central heating, a full range of integrated appliances, low voltage downlights and uplighters and hardwood doors.’
- ‘In my defence, I thought the bulbs came with the light fittings, and being uplighters, it was impossible to spot they were lacking the essentials.’
- ‘This type of lighting can be supplied by table or floor lamps, uplights, downlights, spotlights and hanging lights.’
- ‘Where can I buy small, pretty uplighters or wall lights?’
- ‘We were looking for a fabulous gold shimmer reflection from all the candles and uplighters that we plan to use during the dinner parties that we'd like to have.’
- ‘Ambient light is the gentle indirect light bounced off ceilings and walls, from such fixtures as cove lights or masked uplights.’
- ‘Richard also had certain visions, such as having uplighters up the staircase; I'm still looking for the right fittings to get that look.’
- ‘Two uplights mounted under the trough cast a dancing pattern on the ceiling at night.’
- ‘Most of the trees to be planted on the boulevard will also have uplighters to help make the area brighter at night.’
- ‘Other features of the scheme include new on-street parking bays, new and updated benches, bins and bollards and new trees with uplighters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.