Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Soft, padded textile covering that is fixed to furniture such as armchairs and sofas.
padding, wadding, lining, filling, quilting, cushioning, upholstery, packing, fillerView synonyms
- ‘For a chic design with a contemporary edge, Monty favors sophisticated fabrics and tailored upholstery in leather and linen.’
- ‘But the furniture, upholstery and accessories of his own company, Linley, would hardly fit that description.’
- ‘The test car came with optional cream leather upholstery, which, although attractive, reflected badly off the window.’
- ‘Swivel chairs were also available in bentwood, reed, and wood with leather upholstery.’
- ‘His parents attempted a smile and continued to regard the upholstery of the sofa.’
- ‘As well as providing a top class upholstery service they also supply sofas, couches, arm chairs and suites made to the customer specifications.’
- ‘Once inside the sitting area with its leather upholstery and fancy artwork simply there for show, we waited for our mother.’
- ‘Even the leather upholstery, though a little cracked and faded with age, had been oiled and seemed to glow.’
- ‘Call the cleaners and they will take care of the carpets, curtains, drapes, furniture, upholstery and put a beautiful Spring gloss to your home.’
- ‘They are now used to make items as diverse as garden furniture and car upholstery.’
- ‘Those savings can be applied to new features (adding more leather upholstery, say).’
- ‘Elizabeth Bland, who runs furniture and upholstery shop Homemaker, said she would not be interested in the scheme.’
- ‘I love the couch in the living room, with its thick down cushions and velvet upholstery.’
- ‘Now it is looking to extend its factory, expand into the leisure upholstery and salon furniture markets, and improve its productivity.’
- ‘Trimmed in pink ribbon, the sitting room's yellow sofa echoes the upholstery style of the bedroom's chaise longue.’
- ‘The black paint was peeling along the running boards, and the soft grey upholstery looked shabby and faded.’
- ‘Even the soft warm leather upholstery and steady movement of the vehicle didn't succeed in lulling the girl to sleep.’
- ‘I laughed and gently eased myself onto the leather upholstery.’
- ‘Each of the two new cinemas contain wonderful stadium seating with soft upholstery and armrest cup holders.’
- ‘Walnut timber floor and panelling are contrasted with the aubergine panelling of the limestone bar, and the furniture upholstery is a calming blue.’
- 1.1 The art or practice of fitting padded coverings to chairs or sofas.
- ‘One very innovative course taken on by Forward Steps is an upholstery course, which had a terrific practical element for the centre.’
- ‘Linking with the waterways theme were stalls of canal boat art and decoration, boat upholstery, knot tying and information about the British Waterways.’
- ‘Anyone interested in classes in Woodwork, Pottery or upholstery are advised to get in touch with the organization as soon as possible.’
- ‘He noted that among the areas involved were arts and crafts, woodwork, upholstery, photography and so on.’
- ‘But ten years ago he went back to painting and decorating and developed the French polishing and upholstery business from that.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.