One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Provide (furniture) with a soft, padded covering.‘the chairs were upholstered in red velvet’‘an upholstered stool’
stuff, fill, pack, line, wad, cushionView synonyms
- ‘For instance, Emerson found a fuzzy orange sweater fabric for $5 a yard and used it to make pillows and upholster the dining chairs.’
- ‘Mr McStay used to specialise in upholstering furniture, but now he concentrates on making sofas to order.’
- ‘She had plush upholstered chairs set up around the table with a special throne-like chair at the head of the table.’
- ‘Those houses have flower gardens and interior furnishings such as upholstered furniture and armoires.’
- ‘This place had leather upholstered chairs and mahogany desks.’
- ‘The drapes, the quilts on the bed, the pillows, and the two upholstered chairs were all in a dark, rich plum color.’
- ‘Carpets have to be thrown away, along with mattresses, bedding, and most upholstered furniture.’
- ‘Wrought iron and upholstered furniture, made-to-measure and ready-made curtains and a wide range of fabrics are all found in the company's new brochure.’
- ‘The chairs are upholstered in the same fabric used on the table and for the curtains, and the plain off-white rug prevents the floral pattern from becoming overwhelming.’
- ‘I do not recommend dyeing upholstered furniture.’
- ‘Notice carefully how this is done: the curtains are made of the same silk fabric with which the wing chair is upholstered.’
- ‘Consider replacing upholstered sofas and chairs with furniture made of leather, wood, metal or plastic.’
- ‘Gold's company makes and sells high-end casual upholstered furniture, especially chairs and sofas, as well as cushions.’
- ‘Fitted carpets, heavy drapes, upholstered furniture - even soft toys - promote dust accumulation and the breeding of dust mites.’
- ‘Chief among these was a large green upholstered sofa with tufts of stuffing poking out here and there.’
- ‘Sitting on a fine upholstered couch was a blond man with perfect hair, teeth and clothes.’
- ‘In addition, a cloth upholstered seat is often more comfortable for the baby.’
- ‘James pointed to the richly upholstered sofa and ordered, ‘Sit down, Maria.’’
- ‘You can often find upholstered furniture in brick red, and the color is a favorite in Oriental rugs.’
- ‘At an upholstery shop, a couple was dragging out a newly-upholstered sofa.’
- 1.1 Cover the walls or furniture in (a room) with textiles.
- ‘Only in 1950s movies are the rooms lavishly painted and upholstered, spacious and crammed with flowers.’
- ‘The floor is highly polished north Queensland hardwood, the lounges are beautifully upholstered in pastels and the walls support vibrant silks prints of the reef and rainforest by Sydney artist Lyndie Malan.’
- ‘In the meantime he peered into the inside of the carriage, which was upholstered in blue fabric, with silk fringes and trimmings.’
- ‘The couches in the living room - there were about 20 of them - were upholstered with bubble-gum pink flowers on an olive green background.’
Mid 19th century: back-formation from upholsterer.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.