One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In fact, the view is that the party has to keep the government on its toes, precisely because governments are by nature conservative and are upholders of the status-quo.’
- ‘Rather I admire the Queen as one of the last upholders of the value of reticence in public life.’
- ‘In most Pakistani families, men are dominant and sons are valued as guardians of the family, upholders of family honour and providers of old age insurance for the parents.’
- ‘Finally, although many had strong political beliefs, they did not see themselves as upholders of any particular substantive political orthodoxy.’
- ‘Far from being lawbreakers they are the upholders of real law.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.