One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
To or in prison.
- ‘The government wants you to know that violating its law can send you up the river.’
- ‘Isn't having a code what generally got all the film noir protagonists sent up the river?’
- ‘Let me be on record as being strongly opposed to sending Limbaugh up the river, even though that is the penalty he wished to inflict on others.’
- ‘You're indicted, convicted and sent up the river.’
- ‘They're sent up the river for ‘life,’ having all the time in the world to spend together.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.