One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
To or in prison.
- ‘You're indicted, convicted and sent up the river.’
- ‘The government wants you to know that violating its law can send you up the river.’
- ‘Let me be on record as being strongly opposed to sending Limbaugh up the river, even though that is the penalty he wished to inflict on others.’
- ‘They're sent up the river for ‘life,’ having all the time in the world to spend together.’
- ‘Isn't having a code what generally got all the film noir protagonists sent up the river?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.