Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Unfasten the zipper of (an item of clothing)‘he unzipped his black jacket’
unfasten, disconnect, disengage, part, separate, uncouple, remove, loose, loosen, untie, unhitch, undo, unhook, unbutton, unzip, free, sever, pull off, cut off, clip off, hack off, chop off, prune off, nip off, tear off, break off, strip off, disuniteView synonyms
- ‘‘Nice house,’ Rick commented, unzipping his jacket and slowly hanging it up on the coat rack propped up next to the door.’
- ‘She unzipped the small black pouch slung at her waist and pulled out a small orange.’
- ‘He started unzipping his jacket and flashed the inside of it at Charlie.’
- ‘Inside, gloves and mufflers are removed, quilted jackets are unzipped.’
- ‘Will unzipped his jacket and pulled me closer to him, so that I might warm up.’
- ‘Hearing that, the blonde reaches over to her right sleeve, unzips a pocket, removes a flask and hands it to him.’
- ‘I slowly unzip my black sweater, letting it slide off my shoulders, grateful that I chose to wear a long sleeved shirt.’
- ‘He was wearing a blue baseball cap and a navy blue tracksuit jacket that was unzipped.’
- ‘She unzipped her coat, removed it, and draped it over her arm.’
- ‘Steve reached out, unzipped my coat and pulled it off for me.’
- ‘Sandra unbuttons and unzips her skirt and begins shrugging it down her narrow hips.’
- ‘I unzip my jacket and pull my arm from the sleeve of my T-shirt.’
- ‘Chris unzipped the black duffle bag on his bed, chuckling softly to himself as he searched for an extra t-shirt.’
- ‘Carefully, I unzipped his jacket and pulled up his Alexisonfire shirt.’
- ‘On the other hand, I've had to give away the trousers I bought in Boston in February, because I could pull them down over my hips without unbuttoning or unzipping them.’
- ‘Using the hand her manicurist wasn't working on, Eliza unzipped her black hoodie, revealing the hot pink lace of her bra.’
- ‘When I unzipped the black body bag the cold face of my mother greeted me.’
- ‘He tossed Emily's little boots into the hallway closet then began unzipping her neon pink jacket, while his wife went into the kitchen.’
- ‘The halfling music major on the front row grinned and started unzipping the padded black case on the desk in front of him.’
- ‘I unzipped my bag and pulled out my World History book, my multi-class binder, my agenda, and my Spanish textbook.’
- 1.1Computing Decompress (a file) that has previously been compressed.
- ‘DiskJockey is one very powerful file utility for any user who needs to move, copy, delete, archive, unzip an archive file, or change file attributes.’
- ‘To unzip a file, you need an unzipping utility like WinZip.’
- ‘If you unzip our sample document and load content.xml into a text editor, you should notice a few things.’
- ‘Download and unzip the tarball into your Web directory.’
- ‘This last location isn't actually much use, because you need a password to unzip the file, but it does show the driver's finished.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.