One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a garment) not fit to be worn.
- ‘Our work is very cutting edge but the emphasis has been on creating clothes that flatter the female form and make the person feel good, rather than being way out or unwearable.’
- ‘She's generally six months ahead of any mainstream trend, but now and then, she'll appear in something so unwearable that it disappears without a trace.’
- ‘I was wearing my Smokey the Bear cap, the one that ultimately shrank to an unwearable size in the wake of an unfortunate sprinkler related accident.’
- ‘Except, of course, the one thing everyone really needs: a remedy for those inevitable rips, snags, and runs that render even the most expensive hosiery unwearable.’
- ‘A great deal of what she designs is both ridiculous and unwearable, but viewing this representation of her output over decades it becomes clear that fashion is merely a means to an end.’
- ‘As a subversive alternative, the architects propose a row of deviant shirts, some misbuttoned, some configured like origami petals, all unwearable.’
- ‘The catwalks always offer many beautiful, fun, yet totally unwearable looks.’
- ‘But there is nothing worse than looking down at a potruding belly and a wardrobe full of unwearable clothes and wondering if life is going to be one long tracksuit.’
- ‘It's all acres of plate glass, walnut fittings and the kind of hushed retail reverence usually reserved for unwearable frocks designed by gay men in Parisian ateliers.’
- ‘The vast majority of the clothes are either unwearable, no longer fit me (charity shop) or are way out of fashion (charity shop too).’
- ‘So you open up the packages, trying to identify the ‘imperfection’ and figure out if it makes that particular pair wearable or unwearable.’
- ‘London Fashion Week, that biannual gathering of the unembarrassable in pursuit of the unwearable, begins tomorrow.’
- ‘At age 11 my attempt at sewing a pink ruffled miniskirt turned out unwearable, and the experience left me so discouraged that I didn't tackle another sewing project for many years.’
- ‘Modern clothes are unwearable and the fashion industry has been disfigured by big business and nudity, says a legendary designer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.