Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a film or television program) too poor, tedious, or disturbing to be viewed.
- ‘It's a kind of existential revenge film that mixes some almost unwatchable scenes with superb camera movements, a disorienting plot and painterly compositions.’
- ‘Rancid and, in normal terms, unwatchable, these bits of film are gradually fading into nothing in archives away from the light and away from the cinema.’
- ‘None of the problems with the picture are going to make the film unwatchable, but viewers should bear in mind that this will not look like a big-budget flick.’
- ‘There are only so many repeat viewings a mildly humorous pro-gramme can withstand before it becomes simply unwatchable.’
- ‘The Star Trek franchise paved the way for other science fiction television series, most of which were largely unwatchable.’
- ‘It's a breathtaking piece of documentary-making - unsettling, disturbing and at times almost unwatchable.’
- ‘The first two forgettable films were almost unwatchable, to the point that HBO and Miramax tossed in the towel.’
- ‘She makes a wince-inducingly misjudged job application as a paralegal and the scene in which she shows up for an interview is an unwatchable masterpiece in grisly black comedy.’
- ‘Québec-Montréal is no different except that all the conventions stated above are multiplied to such a degree as to almost make the film unwatchable.’
- ‘So all of the Quantum Leap episodes I faithfully collected from the BBC are all unwatchable because I've changed recorders twice since then.’
- ‘His TV show is an unwatchable spectacle of rampant egomania.’
- ‘Some producer decides that an old show is resurrectable, adds a dash of 21st century realism and the whole thing turns out to be unwatchable.’
- ‘This film is not unwatchable, but it's extremely boring.’
- ‘The shows are far from unwatchable, don't get me wrong, but the poor presentation definitely takes away from the viewing experience.’
- ‘The Decalogue was one of the greatest unwatchable works of film, ever.’
- ‘The film teeters between being the most unwatchable and the most watchable film ever.’
- ‘I generally find that most of what they put on those cheap videos of public domain material is unwatchable, ninth-generation prints.’
- ‘The grain and camcorder quality degrade the already poor material to the point of being unwatchable.’
- ‘Some of the films turned out to be unwatchable because the film had decayed or curdled, but most were perfect.’
- ‘The film itself is unwatchable, but the title always made me smile.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.