Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Not turned.‘unturned soil’
- ‘Thanks again to you all for your overwhelming support and be assured that no stone will be left unturned to overrule this bizarre decision by the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland.’
- ‘We need to make sure that no stone is left unturned in maximising the value of this event for Waterford and the South East.’
- ‘There's not a stone that's going to be left unturned as to what our abilities are.’
- ‘Thompson's gospel has pretty much always been to be as outrageous as humanly possible, to offend as many as possible and to leave nothing sacred unturned.’
- ‘You have got to be thorough and methodical, making sure you don't leave any stone unturned.’
- ‘We have looked into every possible avenue and we won't rest until every stone has been unturned.’
- ‘No stone should be left unturned in bringing those responsible for these deplorable attacks to justice.’
- ‘It is a top priority and no stone must be left unturned in trying to seek a use for this building, which reflects its importance in Swindon's history in the past 150-years.’
- ‘From Mae West to Charlie Chaplin to Mata Hari, she leaves no performer unturned in this exhaustive, accessible-yet-scholarly probe into the unique and sexy Burlesque universe.’
- ‘As for the outcome, there's little doubt no stone was left unturned in the search for the crack.’
- ‘It was also an exhaustive investigation and I believe that no stone was left unturned in our pursuit of the truth behind what happened to Stephen back in July 2003.’
- ‘Put it this way though, no stone, no matter how small, will go unturned in our pursuit of this thing.’
- ‘With stints on the pipes for Deaf Shepherd, the Battlefield Band and Kate Rusby, Macdonald is on the frontline of extending traditional music into new territories and will leave no musical genre unturned in order to get the crowd dancing.’
- ‘The law enforcement officers here have worked tirelessly and dedicated themselves to solving this case, and they have not left any stone unturned.’
- ‘We are determined as a government to deal with this issue, and to ensure that no stone is left unturned in our efforts to see approved projects successfully and expeditiously completed.’
- ‘No stone was left unturned to make them feel truly welcome and they richly deserved every token of friendship as their constant smiles brought out the very best in everyone.’
- ‘Leaving no pixel unturned, entrepreneurial genius has found endless ways to innovate on behalf of the eternal quest for more capital.’
- ‘We are all accountable, especially me, and no stone will be left unturned to make sure we act like a team with championship ambitions.’
- ‘They have trained well this year with no stone unturned, to get them in shape, however there are still a number of key players fighting to have themselves injury free on the day.’
- ‘You do not leave any stone unturned in investigating an incident like this because of the potential of what might have happened.’
2(of a wooden object) not shaped on a lathe.
- ‘For the crib, choose slatted or unturned posts.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.