One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Free the edges or ends of (something) from being hidden or held in place.
- ‘He untucked his shirt, blew out his cheeks and high-fived with David.’
- ‘She untucked his shirt from his underpants.’
- ‘She just loosened the wrist buttons of her blouse, folding it up to her elbow and untucking it from her skirt.’
- ‘‘I say we just go back to the dorms and relax before they do the new roommate lists,’ Tanner said, untucking his plaid overshirt.’
- ‘He was surprised upon learning that he merely had to untuck the bedcovers to get under the blanket.’
- ‘Lee's mom would not let her out of the house without it tucked in, but Lee untucked it as soon as she got out of the driveway.’
- ‘While she had been reading, he had unbuttoned the dark green cotton shirt and untucked the tails from his jeans.’
- ‘Gently untuck your legs until you are in a layout position on your back looking up at the sky with both arms over your head.’
- ‘Before he could do anything else I untucked his shirt.’
- ‘He unbuttoned his shirt and untucked it from his pants.’
- ‘Then he removed his belt and untucked his shirt before blowing out the candles.’
- ‘He said: ‘The fact that we want to untuck our shirts in the clubhouse will not lead to a slipping of standards.’’
- ‘I knocked his hand away, untucked my shirt, pulled out the magazine and gave it to him.’
- ‘Undoing his tie, he shoved it into his pocket, untucking his shirt and rolling up its sleeves to his elbows.’
- ‘I do think that untucking a traditional long-tailed dress shirt is a bit gauche, but most modern styles have either shorter shirttails or a flat bottom designed to hang out, so it's not much of a problem.’
- ‘Catching her breath and the bag, she placed her coffee on the table, and untucked her feet.’
- ‘She didn't look too happy as she untucked her damp shirt and wrung it out.’
- ‘Controversy erupts between George and Jerry over whether Lupe, the chambermaid at their hotel, should tuck or untuck the sheets on their beds.’
- ‘Afterwards, she untucked her long tunic and pulled it off.’
- ‘Once the sides are evenly untucked, you can adjust the front and back of your shirt to your liking.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.