One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Free the edges or ends of (something) from being hidden or held in place.
- ‘He was surprised upon learning that he merely had to untuck the bedcovers to get under the blanket.’
- ‘Before he could do anything else I untucked his shirt.’
- ‘She didn't look too happy as she untucked her damp shirt and wrung it out.’
- ‘She untucked his shirt from his underpants.’
- ‘Gently untuck your legs until you are in a layout position on your back looking up at the sky with both arms over your head.’
- ‘Then he removed his belt and untucked his shirt before blowing out the candles.’
- ‘Once the sides are evenly untucked, you can adjust the front and back of your shirt to your liking.’
- ‘She just loosened the wrist buttons of her blouse, folding it up to her elbow and untucking it from her skirt.’
- ‘Afterwards, she untucked her long tunic and pulled it off.’
- ‘Controversy erupts between George and Jerry over whether Lupe, the chambermaid at their hotel, should tuck or untuck the sheets on their beds.’
- ‘I knocked his hand away, untucked my shirt, pulled out the magazine and gave it to him.’
- ‘While she had been reading, he had unbuttoned the dark green cotton shirt and untucked the tails from his jeans.’
- ‘Undoing his tie, he shoved it into his pocket, untucking his shirt and rolling up its sleeves to his elbows.’
- ‘I do think that untucking a traditional long-tailed dress shirt is a bit gauche, but most modern styles have either shorter shirttails or a flat bottom designed to hang out, so it's not much of a problem.’
- ‘Catching her breath and the bag, she placed her coffee on the table, and untucked her feet.’
- ‘Lee's mom would not let her out of the house without it tucked in, but Lee untucked it as soon as she got out of the driveway.’
- ‘He unbuttoned his shirt and untucked it from his pants.’
- ‘He untucked his shirt, blew out his cheeks and high-fived with David.’
- ‘‘I say we just go back to the dorms and relax before they do the new roommate lists,’ Tanner said, untucking his plaid overshirt.’
- ‘He said: ‘The fact that we want to untuck our shirts in the clubhouse will not lead to a slipping of standards.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.