Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not fastened or knotted.
free, on the loose, loose, set loose, at large, unconfined, roamingView synonyms
- ‘She ran her hand through her untied hair in frustration.’
- ‘That left Alabama, the two-time defending champion, as the nation's only unbeaten, untied team.’
- ‘Christa offered her daughter a snack then turned to Liz as her daughter raced back inside, untied laces and pigtails flapping.’
- ‘Her untied braid was coming free, the ends hanging loosely.’
- ‘By the time I came into the living room, Susannah was lying down on the couch with her jacket half-on and her untied shoes on the wrong feet.’
- ‘Bruising had already started to form on his arms and on his feet were his Puma sneakers, with one very incriminating untied shoelace.’
- ‘The career that resulted shoots him all over the shop like an untied balloon.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the Universe likes to laugh at my expense so of course I managed to trip over an untied shoe lace and did a face plant onto the driveway.’
- ‘Watch for an impressive, sombre solo done with untied pointe shoes.’
- ‘She comes flying down in her bathrobe and untied sneakers; he's still buttoning his shirt.’
- ‘I managed to yelp an endearment to the dirty blonde, trying to manage three bags, a coat, and untied shoes all while running towards school.’
- ‘As he was waiting he noticed his shoe was untied.’
- ‘A single untied shoelace, one feels, could provoke a major tragedy.’
- ‘Naturally this all appeared strange to her when it was accompanied by his white T-shirt, worn jeans and untied sneakers.’
- ‘This activity requires a single untied Raccoon Circle, stretched into a straight line.’
- ‘He beat everyone by 100-plus yards - and, I swear to you, his shoes were untied.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.