One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not using money and other resources carefully; wasteful.
spendthrift, thriftless, wasteful, prodigal, profligate, extravagant, squandering, uneconomical, free-spending, lavish, immoderate, excessiveView synonyms
- ‘He failed in his malting business, was unthrifty and careless with money, and had, in fact, no liking for, or ability in, any business except politics.’
- ‘That's all well and good, but the thing would cost some unthrifty soul at least $3,000.’
- ‘In this unthrifty off-season, ‘steal’ isn't the proper word to use, but the few reasonable deals stand out as bargains.’
- ‘The vocabulary of generating and creating jobs out of unthrifty behavior sounds to noneconomists tough and prudential and quantitative.’
2dialect, archaic (of livestock or plants) not strong and healthy.
- ‘This shortens the life of blooms and makes the violet unthrifty.’
- ‘Symptoms may not be dramatic early in the spring; plants may just look slightly yellow and appear unthrifty.’
- ‘Remove and burn plants with knotted roots or unthrifty plants with extensive root decay.’
- ‘Hip dysplasia is a malformation of the hip joint resulting in a unthrifty fit between the head of the femur bone and the hip socket, in which the femoral head normally lies.’
- ‘Such unthrifty Shih Tzu puppies may respond positively to a few milliliters of raw liver juice fed daily for their first few weeks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.