One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘For what the pro-smacking lobby is really advocating, as the law stands now, is a virtually untestable threshold of ‘reasonable’ force when disciplining children.’
- ‘Some observers say all these untestable, far-fetched theories are signs of science's vitality and boundless possibilities.’
- ‘Evolutionary biology, he demonstrates, is a special case since many of its theories are untestable: hence the theorists are allowed ample freedom of imagination.’
- ‘On the other hand, the statement that the security services have not breached international law is no more than an untestable assertion.’
- ‘As a clear example of an untestable, unscientific, hypothesis that is perfectly consistent with empirical observations, consider solipsism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.