One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a way that is not unexpected and therefore does not cause surprise.sentence adverb ‘unsurprisingly, his claim for unfair dismissal failed’as submodifier ‘the demand is unsurprisingly low’
- ‘She was unsurprisingly sore immediately after her unplaced effort, but thankfully suffered no lasting damage.’
- ‘Unsurprisingly loud protests by veterans of the uprising blocked it.’
- ‘Unsurprisingly, 31 per cent of survey respondents said that cost-cutting remains an important concern.’
- ‘The ladies, unsurprisingly, found him irresistible.’
- ‘Well known for her ability to avoid answering questions, she was unsurprisingly short on specifics.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.