Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not having been sown.‘a strip of unsown soil’
uncultivated, unploughed, untilled, unplanted, unsown, unseeded, unused, undeveloped, dormant, resting, empty, bare, virginView synonyms
- ‘The precise extent of unsown area can only be assessed after the end of this month, he said.’
- ‘The compensation amount for the affected crop should be fixed at Rs 15000 per acre while that of the unsown fields should be not less than Rs 12000.’
- ‘All the crops they require spring up unsown and untilled, wheat and barley and vines with generous clusters that swell with the rain to yield wine.’
- ‘It said the recent rainfall will benefit paddy and other crops already planted or sown and will also facilitate sowing in unsown areas.’
- ‘The trial has revealed that the breeding success of skylarks improved by around 50 per cent when small areas of cereal fields are left unsown.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.