One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not having been sown.‘a strip of unsown soil’
uncultivated, unploughed, untilled, unplanted, unseeded, unused, undeveloped, dormant, resting, empty, bare, virginView synonyms
- ‘All the crops they require spring up unsown and untilled, wheat and barley and vines with generous clusters that swell with the rain to yield wine.’
- ‘The trial has revealed that the breeding success of skylarks improved by around 50 per cent when small areas of cereal fields are left unsown.’
- ‘It said the recent rainfall will benefit paddy and other crops already planted or sown and will also facilitate sowing in unsown areas.’
- ‘The compensation amount for the affected crop should be fixed at Rs 15000 per acre while that of the unsown fields should be not less than Rs 12000.’
- ‘The precise extent of unsown area can only be assessed after the end of this month, he said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.