Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not in accordance with the Bible.‘sacraments deemed unscriptural by Luther’
- ‘Larry, it only bothers me because it's unscriptural, and that which is contrary to the Scripture has to bother a Christian whose whole life and whose church and who's ministry and reason for existence is governed by the Scripture.’
- ‘It would be unscriptural, however, to interpret poverty and abundance by the materialistic standards of contemporary Western civilisation.’
- ‘It is anti-God, anti-Christ, satanic, and unscriptural.’
- ‘These dissenting Baptists, who began to organize separate churches in the 1830s and 40s, were consistent Calvinists who rejected denominational institutions, such as missionary organizations, as unscriptural.’
- ‘His allegiance is drawn from his own church to the financing body, and that is unscriptural.’
- ‘Let us go back and reflect on the three Christian beliefs we are declaring to be unscriptural, and then proceed to the two primary dimensions of deliverance from sin.’
- ‘The Puritan charges to which Hooker felt obliged to respond were at times quite specific, either contrary to Scripture or unscriptural.’
- ‘They refuse blood transfusions as unscriptural.’
- ‘It is unscriptural to think that salvation begins by Christ first coming into the sinful heart of a man.’
- ‘There is a lot she is involved with that is unscriptural.’
- ‘He reconsecrated it to the Virgin Mary and resumed using the temple to pray for the dead, only now it was ‘Christianised ‘, as men added the unscriptural teaching of purgatory.’
- ‘For example, Armstrong's dogmatic view that the Israelites left Egypt the following night after the Passover meal, not the same night, was now deemed unscriptural.’
- ‘It is amazing how slowly unscriptural practices enter the Christian Church.’
- ‘Not surprisingly, Protestant reformers later rejected that move as hopelessly unscriptural.’
- ‘There are pests in the spiritual world, just as in horticulture - unscriptural ideas and attitudes that threaten to retard development.’
- ‘That dogmatic definition seems to have struck him as unscriptural over definition, an intellectual exercise which had developed into a rigid system of control.’
- ‘Many of our Evangelical traditions are unscriptural and destructive of our growth in Christ, as we have pointed out.’
- ‘‘No, it is absolutely unscriptural,’ he answered, ‘and for an outstanding ‘defender of the faith’ it is indeed a strange performance.’’
- ‘The Thirty-Nine Articles condemned ‘the Romish doctrine concerning Purgatory, Pardons’ as unscriptural.’
- ‘I assume that the deity of Christ is denied within this Church, which causes me great concern and is clearly unscriptural.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.