One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
verbunriveted, unriveting, unrivets[with object]rare
Undo, unfasten, or detach by the removal of rivets.
- ‘The car stopped and I began to unrivet the rivets holding in the tire.’
- ‘He unriveted the rear stays, shortened the beam and re-riveted the rear stays on at a radically different angle.’
- ‘Why the heck would you care to unrivet the whole damn case and paint a bunch of spaces you will never see?’
- ‘The spare disc is quite cheap if you buy it on its own, but then you have to unrivet the old one and bolt it on.’
- ‘If the shaft breaks, another one cannot be introduced between the plates without unriveting the plates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.