One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not following philosophical principles or method.
- ‘He was given a long lecture by Clark after protesting in a most unphilosophical fashion.’
- ‘I have a very unphilosophical mind and often became impatient with the discussions George and Biddy had, though I did share their enthusiasm for poetry. […]’
- ‘Despite exposure to combat, however, the soldier is innocent, unphilosophical, even naive.’
- ‘Scholarship has tended strongly, in effect, to dichotomize Levinas' work as A and not-A, philosophical and unphilosophical texts, and to concentrate almost uniquely on the former.’
- ‘These considerations raise a philosophical question even about ordinary unphilosophical translation, such as from English into Arunta or Chinese.’
- ‘Some of the dialogues are written in ways that will draw in the unphilosophical, but this is a level at which we are not encouraged to stay.’
- ‘The dynamic young country did not understand the ‘tragedy and complexity of maturity’ and was ‘basically unphilosophical.’’
- ‘He was, you might say, a poet of the uncommonplace: a philosopher of the unphilosophical, a historian of the unhistorical and a politician of the unpolitical.’
- ‘And take a wild guess what's brought about this repetitive and unsurprisingly unphilosophical insight.’
- ‘Harnessed to German nationalism and the rise of Hitler, he felt that authenticity for the German people was to be seen in National Socialism, and let his philosophy endorse the most brutishly unphilosophical of regimes.’
- ‘An unphilosophical craftsman clearly does not think, in conceptual terms, that he is a thing on a par with other things or that time is a sequence of nows.’
- ‘The unphilosophical man - that is, all of us - is at the mercy of sense impressions and unfortunately, our sense impressions oftentimes fail us.’
- ‘The second cause, God's Providence, is abandoned because it is unphilosophical.’
- ‘Actually, mythology was only set up by ancient sages to help explain the very complicated Hindu philosophy in an unphilosophical way.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.