Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not perturbed or concerned.‘Kenneth seems unperturbed by the news’
untroubled, undisturbed, unworried, unconcerned, unmoved, unflustered, unruffled, unshaken, undismayedcalm, composed, cool, collected, controlled, unemotional, serene, tranquil, self-possessed, self-assured, poised, level-headed, at ease, placid, cool, calm, and collected, unflappable, unflinching, as cool as a cucumberunfazed, laid-back, togetherView synonyms
- ‘The settlers, unperturbed, insisted that they need not take their ‘cue from barbarians!’’
- ‘The unperturbed swans, ponderously wallowing in the shallows.’
- ‘The hammerheads looked at one moment cool and unperturbed and then they were gone.’
- ‘The life-like bambini appeared unperturbed, their faces calm and angelic, their wide eyes turned to the sky.’
- ‘Again, sources backing up this information are minimal, but Willerbang seemed unperturbed by the sudden departure of his friend and mentor.’
- ‘Clarke is unperturbed that the first major exhibition of Scottish paintings at the revamped Royal Scottish Academy should be by a pillar of the empire.’
- ‘It had been much too long since she'd experienced such unperturbed tranquility.’
- ‘However, the filmmaker who cleared the film with the censor board earlier this month seems unperturbed by the controversies.’
- ‘His words, calm and almost unperturbed, made the customer's words seem outrageous.’
- ‘The Spanish midfielder was exceptional, his control and passing was exquisite and he seemed unperturbed by the conditions.’
- ‘American military professionals are largely unperturbed by the controversy.’
- ‘This season, he has not veered one inch from cool, unperturbed, gently luxurious clothes.’
- ‘Ikeda watched her scowl at him for a lengthy moment while he remained composed and wholly unperturbed.’
- ‘A replacement Stagecoach bus arrived at the scene shortly afterwards and an unperturbed Mr Hill completed the journey with his passengers.’
- ‘But in actual fact he is unperturbed about the attention.’
- ‘And Clarke, of course, made his name with Fred Dagg, a character who appeared unperturbed to the point of coma.’
- ‘The man whose Naya Theatre group revived theatre in the 60's is unperturbed by controversy and likes to move on.’
- ‘A trailblazer all her life, she is unperturbed when it comes to speaking her mind on controversial issues regarding life and love.’
- ‘We realise we might be the youngest people here - many of the clientele enjoyed the Seventies as they happened - but we are unperturbed.’
- ‘He was always unflappable, seemingly unperturbed whenever he found himself on the knife edge of defeat.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.