Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not perturbed or concerned.‘Kenneth seems unperturbed by the news’
untroubled, undisturbed, unworried, unconcerned, unmoved, unflustered, unruffled, unshaken, undismayedcalm, composed, cool, collected, controlled, unemotional, serene, tranquil, self-possessed, self-assured, poised, level-headed, at ease, placid, cool, calm, and collected, unflappable, unflinching, as cool as a cucumberunfazed, laid-back, togetherView synonyms
- ‘But in actual fact he is unperturbed about the attention.’
- ‘It had been much too long since she'd experienced such unperturbed tranquility.’
- ‘American military professionals are largely unperturbed by the controversy.’
- ‘Again, sources backing up this information are minimal, but Willerbang seemed unperturbed by the sudden departure of his friend and mentor.’
- ‘He was always unflappable, seemingly unperturbed whenever he found himself on the knife edge of defeat.’
- ‘The man whose Naya Theatre group revived theatre in the 60's is unperturbed by controversy and likes to move on.’
- ‘The unperturbed swans, ponderously wallowing in the shallows.’
- ‘We realise we might be the youngest people here - many of the clientele enjoyed the Seventies as they happened - but we are unperturbed.’
- ‘Clarke is unperturbed that the first major exhibition of Scottish paintings at the revamped Royal Scottish Academy should be by a pillar of the empire.’
- ‘His words, calm and almost unperturbed, made the customer's words seem outrageous.’
- ‘The settlers, unperturbed, insisted that they need not take their ‘cue from barbarians!’’
- ‘The Spanish midfielder was exceptional, his control and passing was exquisite and he seemed unperturbed by the conditions.’
- ‘The life-like bambini appeared unperturbed, their faces calm and angelic, their wide eyes turned to the sky.’
- ‘However, the filmmaker who cleared the film with the censor board earlier this month seems unperturbed by the controversies.’
- ‘The hammerheads looked at one moment cool and unperturbed and then they were gone.’
- ‘A replacement Stagecoach bus arrived at the scene shortly afterwards and an unperturbed Mr Hill completed the journey with his passengers.’
- ‘And Clarke, of course, made his name with Fred Dagg, a character who appeared unperturbed to the point of coma.’
- ‘This season, he has not veered one inch from cool, unperturbed, gently luxurious clothes.’
- ‘A trailblazer all her life, she is unperturbed when it comes to speaking her mind on controversial issues regarding life and love.’
- ‘Ikeda watched her scowl at him for a lengthy moment while he remained composed and wholly unperturbed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.