Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not helpful or cooperative.
- ‘The Epidamnians in 435 asked Delphi whether they should transfer their allegiance from their unobliging mother-city Corcyra to Corcyra's own mother-city Corinth.’
- ‘One thing is certain, the Fed is now playing a very weak hand, and markets have an unobliging way of exposing and punishing weak hands.’
- ‘Your unconscious will see to it that you forget the book, but you don't wish to appear unobliging and will therefore do everything not to forget it.’
- ‘In his mind Harry began going over the internal mechanisms of this particular old heap of unobliging metal.’
- ‘Not only that: he is an unobliging historian, being thin on context and causes.’
- ‘Amar and his friends tried their best to turn the area into a dance floor, inviting an unobliging audience with some neat hip-hop moves.’
- ‘I'm terribly sorry your father and I have been so unobliging, Eleanor, in not perishing in a more timely manner.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.