Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not needed.‘the disposal of unneeded assets’
unneeded, needless, inessential, non-essential, not required, uncalled for, gratuitous, useless, unmerited, unwarranted, unwanted, undesired, dispensable, avoidable, peripheral, cosmetic, unimportant, trivial, incidental, optional, extraneous, expendable, disposable, redundant, pointless, purposeless, to no purpose, to no availView synonyms
- ‘Couldn't people be donating this unneeded disposable income to worthy causes, instead of sending little tokens to people they are never going to meet?’
- ‘Talk of my replacement made me feel unneeded and unwanted.’
- ‘All of them were just fine without me, so I felt unneeded, unloved, unwanted, and above all, a bit hungry.’
- ‘Look for all sorts of unneeded dialogue in that scene.’
- ‘Rabbit, feeling incredibly unwanted and unneeded in the conversation, decided to get to work.’
- ‘What better place to put our unneeded and unwanted laborers?’
- ‘Once any part of the team feels left out, unwanted, unneeded or forgotten - watch out!’
- ‘But suffice it here to offer a non-lawyer's view that a law that is almost never enforced is either unneeded or useless.’
- ‘Being used to seeing products over-packaged with large amounts of unneeded packaging this came as a bit of a shock.’
- ‘I can't say that because it implies that my contribution to the whole is unneeded and therefore unwanted.’
- ‘Europeans are feeling unneeded and unnecessary, which many people here say they are.’
- ‘No chance of rabies, and vets will often tell you the shots are ‘optional’ and unneeded for indoor cats.’
- ‘If there's a place to store our unneeded goodies I shall probably mount a quiet campaign of no activity and hang on to the collection against a rainy day.’
- ‘Towards the end of March, a collector will arrive to humanely dispose of the unneeded creature.’
- ‘The ‘twist’ ending however, I thought was totally silly and unneeded.’
- ‘I am wary of unneeded redistribution programs, or a central wage setting, but market forces aren't even the best system around.’
- ‘Anyone else's comments on our relationship are unneeded, unwanted and unwelcome.’
- ‘I blamed him for all of the unwanted, unneeded and unrequited love that he forced me to feel.’
- ‘With the state in complete control, allowing poorly run or unneeded hospitals to close became virtually impossible.’
- ‘Only the Third Brigade was going home, along with unneeded units, like the artillery battalions and the division's band.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.