One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of an engine or vehicle) not fitted with a muffler.‘the crescendo of unmufflered 400-horsepower engines’
- ‘Maybe they decided to find a quieter location after realizing the frequency with which unmufflered motorcycles pass by on the street.’
- ‘He croons his tribute to the King despite bugs, heat, sweat and unmufflered motorcycles.’
- ‘He's the kind of guy who infuriates his neighbors by revving his unmufflered motorcycle late at night.’
- ‘With the coming of fair weather the birds are chirping and a young mans fancy turns to thoughts of mindlessly riding his unmufflered bike down the road.’
- ‘Here we were relatively free of the incessant wasp-sound of unmufflered internal combustion engines.’
2Not restrained, muffled, or suppressed in any way.‘unmufflered fun’
- ‘Goes to show, a little unmufflered marketing can go a long way in the sale of unmentionables.’
- ‘The darling rapscallions known as Space Cowboys are set to assault The Handcar Regatta with 10,000 watts of unmufflered race announcements from their UNIMOG All-Terrain Audio Visual Assault Vehicle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.