One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having no meaning or significance; meaningless.‘a sweet, unmeaning smile’
unintelligible, incomprehensible, incoherent, illogical, senseless, foolish, silly, absurd, fatuous, ridiculous, nonsensical, idleView synonyms
- ‘Yes, we have songs with unmeaning words, sounds which just help to act as carriers of the notes.’
- ‘For what happens is that one by one the moral and metaphysical temptations are dismissed as unreal or unmeaning.’
- ‘The prospects for an improvement in relations between India and Pakistan are limited by the fact that ‘dialogue ‘is the most unmeaning word in the lexicon of South Asian politics.’’
- ‘The very human desire to find pattern in random data - meaning in a cold, unmeaning world - is alive and well.’
- ‘If it does not do this it becomes spasmodic and unmeaning, like correspondence which is too much underlined ’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.