Untwist (a rope) into separate strands.→ unlaid
untwine, disentwine, disentangle, unravel, unsnarl, unwind, unroll, uncoil, unreel, undo, spread out, unfurl, lay out, unkinkView synonyms
- ‘Hercules ropes are pre-formed, to minimize unlaying and its resultant cost during further fabrication’
- ‘This will cause the rope to unlay and to some degree distortion of the rope will occur.’
- ‘A knife is helpful here to get things started, but they unlay easily once you've gotten it going.’
- ‘To minimize shrinkage and reduce unlaying when cut; the twine is fully stabilized, resulting in much easier handling.’
- ‘To form the splice, unlay the two ends of the rope to be joined and tape or whip the ends of each strand.’
Early 18th century: from un- (expressing reversal) + lay.