Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Without a label; not labeled.‘bottles of unlabeled white wine’
- ‘Although readers will not get bogged down in irrelevant minutiae, there are occasional places where detail is lacking, as with unexplained abbreviations or unlabeled figures.’
- ‘How do I find out how much fiber is in unlabeled items such as fruits and vegetables?’
- ‘Placing liquids in unlabeled containers led to the patient deaths described above, and similar situations continue to occur in some health care organizations and clinical settings.’
- ‘In some cases, individual slides were identified, but most are unlabeled.’
- ‘We removed the unlabeled tank and replaced it with the correct tank.’
- ‘I spotted an unlabeled plant at the nursery with gorgeous purple-black foliage and a hairy stem and asked the owner what it was.’
- ‘At the end of the first semester the freezer will be emptied of unlabeled items and of any item labeled as more than 3 months old.’
- ‘Perhaps you have observed careless practices or unlabeled containers, or maybe you have questioned an order or a clinical irregularity.’
- ‘Your help in identifying the unlabeled images is requested.’
- ‘Unlabeled chemical waste causes severe problems for our waste disposal personnel.’
- ‘Small, unlabeled ovals represent haplotypes inferred from mutational changes, but not sampled in this data set.’
- ‘At the top of the rows of buttons was an unlabeled keyhole.’
- ‘An unlabeled hazmat container can lead to a hefty fine and to other penalties.’
- ‘One of the guys leaned over to rummage around under the seat and produced some sardines, saltine crackers and a clear liquid in an unlabeled clear glass bottle.’
- ‘It is unlabeled, and I haven't bothered to measure it.’
- ‘Our teams usually find about four unlabeled items per squadron.’
- ‘Any unlabeled container or syringe should be discarded immediately.’
- ‘Give me an unlabeled map of the United States, and I can mark in the names of every state - with the possible exceptions of Vermont and New Hampshire.’
- ‘The internal harnesses comprise unlabeled black wires terminated with crimp connectors at the bridge rectifiers and filter caps.’
- ‘For example, if reducing unlabeled medications on the sterile surgical field is the goal, then observation studies will be necessary to determine whether this undesirable practice has been eliminated.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.