One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Separate or dislocate the joints of.
put out of joint, put out of place, displace, disjoint, disconnect, disengageView synonyms
- ‘He made a dive at the little bull, and at the same time the little bull caught him in the neck, completely unjointing it.’
- ‘You see, they crush the larger bones, lather the head and unjoint their jaws.’
- ‘The way it was injured made it necessary for me to unjoint the bone from my foot, too, but I did it, and there was considerable satisfaction in having performed my own surgical operation.’
- ‘Surgery on his left shoulder involved unjointing it and inserting a pin, leaving him with only partial use of that arm.’
- ‘The branchial basket was braced against the body wall and unjointed, as in lampreys.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.