One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A widely used multiuser operating system.as modifier ‘software for Unix systems’
- ‘Instead, Microsoft hopes to divert those moving from Unix and considering Linux.’
- ‘The company takes repeated shots at Unix operating systems but has little to show for the claims.’
- ‘Still, there is big money in Unix hardware and software and plenty of developers and admins to go around.’
- ‘Some of its earliest products were thin client terminals designed for Unix users.’
- ‘It's a tutorial aimed at helping Unix and Linux users get optimal performance out of their operating system.’
1970s: from uni- ‘one’ + a respelling of -ics, on the pattern of an earlier less compact system called Multics.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.