One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of clothing or hairstyles) designed to be suitable for both sexes.
- ‘He asked a girl whose name was unisex like Casey, Jamie, Kelsey or Dakota.’
- ‘But if women wear unisex trousers without comment, men in skirts can still raise eyebrows.’
- ‘This bag category is unisex and covers home as well as office use.’
- ‘They'd dressed Sam in the usual unisex white jumpsuit, showing no imagination at all.’
- ‘I was bit worried that it was mainly for women, but the sales assistant convinced me it was unisex.’
- ‘In France, I believe, a kiss on each cheek is appropriate, and unisex.’
- ‘After all, jeans are a relatively unisex piece of clothing, right?’
- ‘One applies to females only - the siren; one to men only - the rake; and the rest - the ideal lover, dandy, natural, charismatic, star - are unisex.’
- ‘The film, which featured a women's football team, has opened to rave reviews in the US, where women's football is hugely popular and the game is regarded as unisex.’
- ‘Barry, who has stoically remained a traditional barber while many other salons went unisex, said he had seen hair lengths go full circle through the years.’
- ‘After all, most of us use unisex toilets every day in our own homes.’
- ‘Left-wing movements have tended to be unisex, and asexual in their imagery.’
- ‘One of the most obvious changes is that the new uniforms are unisex.’
- ‘We lived a unisex dorm; both dorms on campus were unisex.’
- ‘This means a basic, unisex, T-shirt program is a volume program, where hundreds, even thousands of units are being prepared for a giveaway or as a premium to promote anything and everything under the sun.’
- ‘Although unisex vests are available in every police station in a variety of sizes, body armour is not currently personally issued to each officer.’
- ‘If the tag doesn't differentiate genders, the skate is unisex.’
- ‘Yes, it was easy and unisex, but it was also wet, greasy, required a regiment of malodorous chemicals for upkeep and extensive processing, and looked just plain weird on most.’
- ‘She had to find things that were unisex, or at least looked like it.’
- ‘Intrigued, I walked up the stairs to use the men's room and discovered that the bathrooms were unisex.’
A style in which men and women look and dress in a similar way.
- ‘Only 16 percent of those who identify themselves as conservatives approve of unisex, while 34 percent of those who call themselves liberals are fond of the look.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.