One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Become or cause to become members of a labor union.
- ‘One of the decisions found faculty members at Manhattan College eligible to unionize; the other enabled graduate assistants at New York University to bargain collectively.’
- ‘Remarkably for a supposedly ‘liberal’ institution such as a university, attempts to unionise postgraduate teaching staff have been vigorously resisted by some US universities.’
- ‘Maquilas prefer to employ young women, often as young as fourteen, because the owners believe that young women are easier to control and less likely to attempt to unionize.’
- ‘With the Supreme Court's 2002 Hoffman decision, undocumented immigrant laborers have no legal standing to sue for back pay when fired for attempting to unionize.’
- ‘So why is the Mission opposing their workers’ attempts to unionize?’
- ‘Too bad federal law makes it virtually impossible to unionize a company that doesn't want to be unionized, isn't it?’
- ‘He joined the Labour Party, and even attempted to unionise professional players.’
- ‘We need to look at something that is not driven just by ideology, or that is the politically correct approach of this Government - a bunch of trade unionists who now want to unionise everyone.’
- ‘The type of workplaces Kath was responsible for in her job had a high turnover of staff making any attempt at unionising difficult.’
- ‘But their attempts to unionize are going to fail, because their replacements are already on the way.’
- ‘After that I felt that we, the workers, needed unity and I have been attempting to unionise the place.’
- ‘The rhetoric of slavery has been applied to a variety of social movements, such as the quest for equal rights for women or attempts to unionize American workers.’
- ‘One reason is that it is much harder to unionize an unorganized workplace than most of us realize.’
- ‘This might be done if that employee was part of an effort to try to unionize or organize in any way with other employees.’
- ‘In other business, the delegate assembly voted to encourage MLA members to unionize when possible and to support the unionizing efforts of other campus workers.’
- ‘A 1907 attempt by labor organizers to unionize the Ashio copper mines was only put down by thousands of army troops.’
- ‘The first is to organize, unionize, or whatever you want to call it, and join the fight for a bigger piece of that limited pie.’
- ‘Union leaders, however, said the action recalled the techniques of violence and intimidation used against the longshoremen during their attempts to unionize in the 1930s.’
- ‘About 360 students voted to unionize last March as a last-ditch attempt to pressure the administration over low pay and working conditions.’
- ‘If the 1,500 or so workers at the factory attempt to unionize, he added, they will be fired and blacklisted.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.