Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Failing to engage someone's interest or attention; dull.‘a pointless and uninvolving storyline’
- ‘The initial impression of these first few minutes leaves something to be desired because the sonic details appear uninvolving and overly ascetic.’
- ‘This is one cold, stubbornly uninvolving film.’
- ‘It is up to you to decide whether sparkling stop-motion animation, catchy music, and a hearty dose of dry British humor is enough to overcome an uninvolving allegorical plot.’
- ‘Collectively, the soundtracks get the basics of the words and sounds across, but otherwise they're uninvolving.’
- ‘Unfortunately, despite a certain amount of suspense in the first act, the story becomes increasingly convoluted and curiously uninvolving.’
- ‘It was all very polished and professional and tuneful - but ultimately uninvolving.’
- ‘On this level, I found the movie opaque and uninvolving.’
- ‘Even the interspersed musical numbers and cabaret performances meant to comment on and clarify the relationships involved are dour and uninvolving.’
- ‘Michelle Ryan is flat and uninvolving as the title character.’
- ‘Although I wondered a few months ago whether attending this exhibition might make me queasy, in fact it was a rather uninvolving affair.’
- ‘But I guess with such a threadbare and uninvolving main story - which the aforementioned December-May romance certainly is - the filmmakers need some padding.’
- ‘For whatever reason, Brooks has decided to distance his characters from the audience, and the result is a cold, uninvolving experience.’
- ‘They can play a bit, those Ukrainian lads, but there's something curiously uninvolving about Champions League nights.’
- ‘The few bits of action before the climactic showdown are quick and uninvolving.’
- ‘Thus, while The Sleeping Dragon has occasional moments of greatness, it is, overall, a lackluster, uninvolving game.’
- ‘Overall, Late Nite Catechism proves mildly amusing, but slight and uninvolving fare.’
- ‘Honestly, when you combine the grainy style with a flat and uninvolving DVD transfer, you've got a movie that will look pretty terrible on your home theatre system.’
- ‘Such predictability proves distressingly uninvolving for the viewer.’
- ‘The play is contrived, manipulative, uninvolving: It glimmers, glimmers, and fizzles out.’
- ‘There is great work created beneath this pandemic of fine but uninvolving art.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.