Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Lacking in importance or significance.‘trivial and unimportant details’
insignificant, inconsequential, trivial, minor, slight, trifling, of little importance, of no importance, of little consequence, of no consequence, of no account, of no moment, non-essential, immaterial, irrelevant, peripheral, extraneous, not worth mentioning, not worth speaking of, petty, paltry, insubstantial, light, inconsiderable, superficial, inferior, worthless, nugatory, pointless, frivoloussmall-time, piddling, small-fry, no great shakestwopenny-halfpenny, tinpotdinky, picayuneView synonyms
- ‘It is for the parties to decide whether they wish to be bound and, if so, by what terms, whether important or unimportant.’
- ‘That sounds awfully dramatic, but it's actually quite depressingly trivial and unimportant.’
- ‘Its unnecessary; the only musical statement it makes is how unimportant and irrelevant this band are now.’
- ‘It is the nature of every living being, whether big or small, important or unimportant, to strive for happiness.’
- ‘It is the ability to record the ordinary, seemingly unimportant detail that makes photography so democratic.’
- ‘This is the bread of life, this unimportant failure to be perfect.’
- ‘Police have asked anyone reporting a sighting of him to try and give as much detail as possible, even if it seems unimportant.’
- ‘Britain's most important trunk road starts somewhere rather unimportant.’
- ‘You worry too much, often about unimportant details.’
- ‘The public needs to see how useful mathematics can be, not how it can be applied to unimportant, meaningless things.’
- ‘Nothing really matters since you are so taken by the immensity of the world that your own life seems unimportant by comparison.’
- ‘Look at the intricate beauty of the leaves on the trees and see that our petty desires are so unimportant.’
- ‘Every activity is either important or unimportant, urgent or not urgent.’
- ‘It seems many people in this town instead prefer to focus on the minor and unimportant features of the town.’
- ‘Before warming there was a significant but clinically unimportant difference in hand temperatures.’
- ‘Rather, you should recognize that all our everyday concerns and worries are really petty and unimportant.’
- ‘I won't go into the idea in detail now as it's unimportant to the point I am trying to make.’
- ‘But those objectives are relatively unimportant when set against the question of what follows.’
- ‘Devouring fashion has provided a uniquely unimportant and frivolous thing to direct all my worry towards.’
- ‘How success was achieved, argued Welch, was unimportant - it was just vital that it was achieved.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.