Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Moving, acting, or taking place without haste or urgency.
leisurely, unhasty, leisured, easy, easy-going, relaxed, unrushed, slow, slow-moving, slow-going, slow and steadydeliberate, careful, cautious, sedate, measured, calmgradual, lingering, loiteringView synonyms
- ‘It was calm, unhurried and peaceful one day in the year when time seemed to literally slow down.’
- ‘The pace of life, as with the mainland, is easy and unhurried.’
- ‘All work must be undertaken carefully and in a slow unhurried manner.’
- ‘They seemed to be dredging, but at a remarkably unhurried pace.’
- ‘We're adopting a relaxed and unhurried attitude to the house sale.’
- ‘I find it quite difficult to connect with others in a normal, unhurried, relaxed way.’
- ‘Watching the clock on my bedside table, I saw the numbers change before my eyes with painfully unhurried pace.’
- ‘She stood amidst the subtle sight finding serenity in its unhurried pace.’
- ‘The strength of this production lies in its unhurried pace; far from boring us, it entertains in an elegant and original way.’
- ‘Don't let the ads fool you into thinking this is some kind of edgy French thriller, by the way, or you'll be too annoyed by its unhurried pace to enjoy it.’
- ‘His style is much the same here as on those discs: calm, unhurried, and deliberate.’
- ‘The pace is unhurried and silence almost never impedes the flow of events.’
- ‘If one wants to appreciate the products at a leisurely and unhurried pace, then Crafts Bazar is the place.’
- ‘The pace is unhurried, the shocks cushioned by good manner.’
- ‘Her pace is unhurried, and she is careful to keep her balance despite the weight of her baby and the pain shooting up and down her spine.’
- ‘The delightful sense of unhurried leisure is what the movie has to show us, and it comfortably inhabits its own airy space.’
- ‘The pace is unhurried, the treatment is even-handed, and the effect is fascinating.’
- ‘It has the same languorous sense of vast skies and unhurried pace.’
- ‘The comic book format allows the story to be told at a controlled, unhurried pace, without the artificial constraint of a two-hour movie.’
- ‘There was an unusual easiness, a calm and unhurried pace to everything.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.