One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Exceeding hope or expectation.‘an unhoped-for piece of good luck’
unexpected, unanticipated, unforeseen, unpredicted, unlooked-for, unplanned, not bargained for, without warning, without noticeView synonyms
- ‘It is damaging because it's an unhoped for situation which no employee ever imagined it would happen.’
- ‘The seat belt, of course, functions to restrain the seat's user in the seat in the unhoped for event of an accident.’
- ‘Amid the hope and worry, the fear and anger believe that each day which breaks is you last: the unhoped for hour will be a welcome surprise.’
- ‘Likewise, an encounter with the unhoped for does not simply call for a response where an object of futural expectation can be enumerated in an isolated sense.’
- ‘At Slough, the loan of two engines of the series 9 was enough to restore an unhoped boost.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.