One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A nail, claw, or fang.
nail, talonView synonyms
- ‘Those of the male fore legs have both the ungues serrate.’
- ‘Three minutes later the male darted at the female and seized her, using the ungues and the anal forceps.’
- ‘She grabbed onto my arm roughly, digging her sharp ungues into my flesh.’
- ‘The ungues are normally paler than the main plates.’
- ‘The important feature in this case is the membranous pad-like structure closely applied to the ventral surface of each of the ungues.’
Early 18th century: from Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.