One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a person) cold or stubborn in relationships with other people.
- ‘How do generous children become ungiving parents?’
- ‘It may have embarked willingly on a peace strategy with its neighbours, but it has adopted a grudging and ungiving attitude in its daily dealings with its Arab neighbours.’
- ‘In the beginning, both seemed austere, even ungiving.’
- ‘Inspirational and imbued with an engaging, multidimensional personality on the park, he can be infuriatingly insouciant and ungiving off it.’
- ‘He eyes were no longer ungiving, but somehow new like a child's.’
- 1.1 (of a material) not bending or pliable; stiff.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.