One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Cause (something) to thaw.
melt, soften, liquefy, dissolveView synonyms
- ‘I slowly unfroze my jaws and opened my mouth to speak.’
- ‘Finally breathing and unfreezing her body, she squeezed through the partially open door.’
- ‘The engines had to be heated by four large burners to unfreeze the oil before they could start.’
- ‘He's there to unfreeze her basement pipes in winter, and to visit her when she's hospitalized, rubbing her feet to raise her spirits.’
- ‘We already know how to unfreeze it, so let's work on that first before we figure out why.’
- ‘Should any part of you or your kit freeze up, Thermos flasks of boiling water are always close to hand to warm your gloves or unfreeze your reg or camera.’
- ‘In early experiments, it worked wonders in melting the permafrost just enough to allow it to be scraped away without unfreezing the flesh of the dead animal.’
- ‘Joey shivered and blew into his fingers to unfreeze them.’
- 1.1no object Become thawed.
- ‘Well, seems like this might be the time to get a portion of it unfrozen and place it on the stove to thaw.’
- ‘On TV, which I turned on while I was waiting for my joints and muscles to unfreeze a bit, there was golf somewhere in Detroit, Michigan.’
- ‘On the hibernation safety information I found if the booth is not completely pressurized at any point the inhabitant will be unfrozen.’
- 1.2 Remove restrictions on the use or transfer of (an asset).
- ‘The offer entails paying off the tax debts in return for the unfreezing of Yukos assets and their subsequent purchase.’
- ‘She is calling on the State to unfreeze the assets of her family.’
- ‘He has unfrozen staff salaries, and senior managers are back driving new BMWs.’
- ‘The accounts were only unfrozen after Milne went to the Herald Sun in mid-February.’
- ‘As a result of his investigations the US government was forced into a series of embarrassing retractions and had to unfreeze $24 million of assets.’
- ‘If he is acquitted, the accused person's assets are unfrozen.’
- ‘Essentially, the attitude appears to be that the accounts have been unfrozen, so what is Milne complaining about?’
- ‘It was also agreed at yesterday's sitting that the budget would be unfrozen.’
- ‘Luxembourg also went ahead and unfroze the assets of an organisation that the US government said was connected to them.’
- ‘In yesterday's closed-door meeting of the defense committee, lawmakers with the committee reached agreement after several hours' discussion on unfreezing the two budgets.’
- ‘If mortgage and other regular payments are made from that account they will not be paid, and it will need the agreement of both spouses to unfreeze an account.’
- ‘She also ordered that their bank accounts be unfrozen and seized property returned.’
- ‘The 15 council members voted unanimously to allow Ariana to resume international flights, which were halted in October 1999, and to unfreeze the airline's assets.’
- ‘In addition to that, most bank deposits were unfrozen in the last quarter of 2002.’
- ‘The government, however, believed that Wang used the documents to try to unfreeze money being held in Swiss banks.’
- ‘It's been four hours since I spoke to somebody from Paypal, and there still has been no word about unfreezing the donation account.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.