One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Cause (something) to thaw.
melt, soften, liquefy, dissolveView synonyms
- ‘Joey shivered and blew into his fingers to unfreeze them.’
- ‘Finally breathing and unfreezing her body, she squeezed through the partially open door.’
- ‘I slowly unfroze my jaws and opened my mouth to speak.’
- ‘In early experiments, it worked wonders in melting the permafrost just enough to allow it to be scraped away without unfreezing the flesh of the dead animal.’
- ‘Should any part of you or your kit freeze up, Thermos flasks of boiling water are always close to hand to warm your gloves or unfreeze your reg or camera.’
- ‘He's there to unfreeze her basement pipes in winter, and to visit her when she's hospitalized, rubbing her feet to raise her spirits.’
- ‘The engines had to be heated by four large burners to unfreeze the oil before they could start.’
- ‘We already know how to unfreeze it, so let's work on that first before we figure out why.’
- 1.1no object Become thawed.
- ‘On the hibernation safety information I found if the booth is not completely pressurized at any point the inhabitant will be unfrozen.’
- ‘Well, seems like this might be the time to get a portion of it unfrozen and place it on the stove to thaw.’
- ‘On TV, which I turned on while I was waiting for my joints and muscles to unfreeze a bit, there was golf somewhere in Detroit, Michigan.’
- 1.2 Remove restrictions on the use or transfer of (an asset).
- ‘She is calling on the State to unfreeze the assets of her family.’
- ‘It was also agreed at yesterday's sitting that the budget would be unfrozen.’
- ‘In addition to that, most bank deposits were unfrozen in the last quarter of 2002.’
- ‘In yesterday's closed-door meeting of the defense committee, lawmakers with the committee reached agreement after several hours' discussion on unfreezing the two budgets.’
- ‘The offer entails paying off the tax debts in return for the unfreezing of Yukos assets and their subsequent purchase.’
- ‘If mortgage and other regular payments are made from that account they will not be paid, and it will need the agreement of both spouses to unfreeze an account.’
- ‘It's been four hours since I spoke to somebody from Paypal, and there still has been no word about unfreezing the donation account.’
- ‘As a result of his investigations the US government was forced into a series of embarrassing retractions and had to unfreeze $24 million of assets.’
- ‘The government, however, believed that Wang used the documents to try to unfreeze money being held in Swiss banks.’
- ‘She also ordered that their bank accounts be unfrozen and seized property returned.’
- ‘If he is acquitted, the accused person's assets are unfrozen.’
- ‘He has unfrozen staff salaries, and senior managers are back driving new BMWs.’
- ‘Luxembourg also went ahead and unfroze the assets of an organisation that the US government said was connected to them.’
- ‘Essentially, the attitude appears to be that the accounts have been unfrozen, so what is Milne complaining about?’
- ‘The 15 council members voted unanimously to allow Ariana to resume international flights, which were halted in October 1999, and to unfreeze the airline's assets.’
- ‘The accounts were only unfrozen after Milne went to the Herald Sun in mid-February.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.