(of a document, storage medium, etc.) not formatted.
- ‘He has to manage data from city hospitals delivering information on diseases by mail, fax, attached spreadsheets, and unformatted electronic text.’
- ‘Researchers can search the information which is available as unformatted free text files that can be searched by keyword or phrase.’
- ‘Note that if your new drive is unformatted, all you'll get if you make a mistake is an error.’
- ‘It has an unformatted capacity of 80GB, average seek time of 9ms, a 7200 rpm spindle speed and a buffer size of 2MB.’
- ‘Thanks in part to the Internet, the world is awash in data, the great majority of which is unformatted and housed in disparate, often inaccessible locations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.